Sunday, March 10, 2013

Clutter and disorganization happen to us all....What are you going to do about it? and can it be prevented?

Although we would like to think knowledge makes us immune or protected from bad habits, that is not realistic.  Any break in the system or deviation from the plan can result in reduced performance or lower standard in our efforts to maintain order and efficiency.  Organization and Utilization are choices and require discipline and planning.  When the plans are not carried out as written and are not monitored, deviations allow the undesirable results, CLUTTER and DISORGANIZATION!!!

I am confessing, things have been crazy and my personal areas and plans have not been maintained or monitored and I discovered an unsettling result.. I am DISORGANIZED and I have stuff that is not being used, is in the way of storing the things I NEED and WANT to complete plans and projects in my master list, and the conflict is preventing me from accomplishing tasks and enjoying my space.

WHO DO I CALL?????   I NEED HELP!!!!  oh wait, I AM the Organizer!  so this was twice a traumatic, since I KNOW Better! and I teach others how to keep this from happening.  

First I dig out my list... WHAT,  WHEN, WHO,HOW, WHERE, and WHY ...

How I can quickly restore order to the chaos:

WHAT is wrong???  This is not put away and I can't get to my desk to do what I really want to do.  I went to look for an important phone number and it wasn't where it is supposed to be. WHEN did things get so out of order???  the last few weeks have been busy at work and I haven't been maintaining the plan and maintaining the space like I usually do, been working elsewhere and busy.. (NOTE TO SELF! Schedule "Personal time at the end of the day to Clean up the current day and Set up for the next day!)
 I got my to-do list out and it is several pages and I don't know where to start... I only have hours not days???  oh forget it I am going back to bed.. If something is found that was placed by someone else (WHO) call them and review the right place for the item, (etc., mending items do not belong in my office, they go under the sewing machine in the MENDING basket! and write me a note you need this done ASAP!)  as they move the item to the correct place, write down the task on your to-do list.

WAIT don't give up!!!  Just like we do with the kids when their rooms make you grab the phone to report a vandalism.  STOP!!!  Find something right!  There has to be a positive encouraging spot to start...  One pair of socks in the draw.. okay lets find the socks and put them in the drawer.. WHAT?? that is the only clean pair of socks in the room.. How did that happen??? oh, you didn't put your clothes in the hamper, instead they are under your bed.  Hmmm.. okay where is the hamper???  oh you needed somewhere to put the stuff out of your backpack last week so you could use it for the weekend...  okay, let's get the hamper cleaned out and get the dirty clothes picked up and in there and out to the washer.  Viola' the room looks like it belongs in your home again.. and miraculously clean clothes were found and the closet is utilized for the proper items, backpack has the books in it and things are being put in there place.

IT WORKS!!!  Now apply the same thing to your ADULT stuff, look at your office, or storage closet and see what is right??  What is there that should be somewhere else???  Move things out and put the right things in their place.. If you see a to-do, write it down but put the stuff where it needs to be stored until you have time to do the task or project. 

Viola'  things are right in your space and life again...

When you have things arranged and planned WRITE THEM DOWN, where things are stored... then it is easier for everyone that comes into the space to replace items in the right place.

Do you need help making a plan... figuring out the Schedule and Placement of items to be stored until they are used.  Space and time are not renewable, if you are using them for things that are not in line with your priorities and your action plan toward your goals then you are going to discover dissatisfaction and conflict.  You can't have order and organization if "everything does not have a place and is not in that specific place".  If you are storing items that have not and are not planned to be used, you are blocking progress and wasting a valuable resource; SPACE and your PROGRESS!.  Distractions must be managed and reduced to make you more efficient.

Call me!  Dot Wiggins, ~ Uniquely Dot,
Uniquely Organized and Utilized  on Facebook & Google +
http://uniquelyorganizedandutilized.com



No comments: