Sunday, April 28, 2013

Are you minding your P's & Q's? Organization and Utilization Provide Preparation, Prevention, and Quality Responses.

 Planning, preparing, Utilization (using/storing stuff and information) is a major activity and skill I have always had.  I am the family historian, "Storage locker for friends" and just a life long preserver and keep of things important and sentimental.  I  HATE!!! to be caught of guard and unprepared for something.  I like to Strategize and Plan for things so I am always prepared.  "Why yes, I was a girl scout, and am the Title holding  Winner of the Tupperware Party, "Do you have this in your purse" :)  ha ha.

I thought I was prepared, I have stuff organized and ready to grab when the alert comes.  We have fire boxes and keep our information organized and up-to-date. 


(Picture credited to WRAL.com/Capitol Broadcasting Company/  http://www.wral.com/weather/image/9462902/ )

However, Last year when the hurricanes hit nearby I had an Epiphany as we drove around seeing the damage.  I was shocked at the massive holes in houses and missing roofs, piles of personal belongings all over the neighborhood.  Standing on the sidewalk and looking inside an 2-story house with photo albums and papers streaming down shook me to my core.

I immediately started looking at a harsh reality, You won't always get notice of a storm and be given enough time to pack all the things you need and want to protect.  What if a hurricane or fire struck during the middle of the night, NO NOTICE, you wake up grab the people and get to safety.  "The stuff can be replaced or doesn't really matter" hmmm. that is the way it is supposed to be, but honestly there are things that would be hard to lose, there are documents you NEED.

Until the latest Hurricane, Storm Sandy that hit New York and New Jersey and BUSINESSES and BANKS announced they lost stuff to the water and rubble damage that I really started thinking WHAT IF IT HAPPENED TO US? 

I began reworking my disaster preparation plan, rechecked our storm kit and moved it from the hall closet to the bathroom closet.  In the event we might not have time to grab each other and remember to grab the kit, the weather radio and get in the safety of the bathroom.  A split second of yuck reality hit, this "Safe Space that my husband, my beloved TEENAGE son and myself were going to be locked in is the bathroom that my teenage son is responsible to clean and that often fails inspection and is the sources of major angst whenever we are having unexpected guest.   New importance was placed on this room, it needs to be "Mom clean" at all times.. We called an emergency meeting and discussed this issue.  Should our son his bathroom under a new light and for a few days it was glorious, He kept the bathroom neat as a pin and it was properly stocked. and then the pangs of hyper preparedness faded.  So now our "Preparing plan for a bad storm includes check our safe room and cleaning and stocking it".

Thought went to the list of things we would need after the disaster passed and we began to assess the damage. 


Having friends go through deaths, thefts, fires, storm damage and having working experience with insurance processes helped make an "ACTION PLAN" of what we would do if we suffered a loss.  Despite the emotional and physical feelings and dealing with the tragedy there are things that MUST be done, Questions and paperwork that has to be responded to, and all that is hard enough without having to deal without logistical issues like "Where the heck is the stuff we need, and WHAT, we need THAT, uh we never got that filled out or I meant to submit that but.."   I firmly believe "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Benjamin Franklin

There are things that are needed to start any recovery, initiate the claims, etc.:

  1. Documentation for identification of the people (Birth Certificates, Social Security # and cards, Marriage License, Business Licenses, Professional credentials, ect.
  2. Documentation for property:  Deed, Titles, Tax records, Inventory files with serial numbers and purchasing details.
  3. Holders of Finances, Insurance, Medical records, Wills, Ect.  

Then there are those things that our hearts are attached to:
  1. Computer files, documents, digital pictures, Login information
  2. Photo Albums, (Baby Pictures of children and each adult, Wedding Albums, Family pictures, Genealogy records), 
  3.  Videos of Wedding, Kids, Family events
  4. Book Collections
  5. Sentimental belongs
  6. Work or special clothe

As I began to make my lists of "MUST HAVES" and then figuring out how to collect and store them so they would be easily assessable should the need arise I discovered a peace and sense of preparedness that I really enjoyed.  As I talked with others and found that many have thought about it and have it on the perpetual   To-Do list that seems to grow but never gets accomplished because other things take precedent and there just is not enough time.   It goes to the "I will do it later"

Shocking to me where the ones that felt planning like this and "worrying about stuff that hasn't happened" was unnecessary.  They just figured "Don't the agents and schools, Banks, Dr's Offices keep that stuff".  Well Some of it might be but to depend on others to have the information I NEED in a crisis is not the way I do things anymore and I have experienced the disappointment and panic of important information that was supposed to be held by another, becoming "LOST or DAMAGED" and having to go through unspeakable delays and time consuming efforts to find the information I needed.  Even if you are lucky enough for Agents, Schools, Doctor's Offices, Employers having your needed information you still need to know contact information, policies, have some proof of ID.  Yes, you can get all this stuff copied or sent to you but again, you have to know who to call, and wait to get the information "IF THEY HAVE IT".  But, no one is going to protect your "personal property and heirlooms" .

How do you plan and prepare for the undesirable events?  Would you be able to assemble your needed information to recover from a loss?  Are you thinking about reviewing or creating your disaster plan, Action plans and document and heirloom storage methods?

Just another of the planning and organizing services we provide.  Give us a call and lets see what your plan and storage methods look like.  Run a drill on recovering from a situation and make sure you are ready for whatever may come and then you can have the peace and sense of preparedness.
 



No comments: