Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Does your plan and organizational arrangement work in an emergency situation or without power?

With all the natural disasters and more and more reports of fires, lengthy power and/or internet outages and unplanned changes I began thinking and looking at my plans and organization and found several changes, adjustments, and new solutions needed to achieve and maintain my productivity goals.

Most of the work and play activities I do depend on a computer.  I have spent countless hours inputting, scanning, upload and downloading information and resources into my computer, so much so that my family calls it my "magic box".  Whenever they ask me something or to do something they pause to see if I am going to open the "magic box"..  So I have to say watching the reports of the devastation of the Northeast from Hurricane Sandy have put me into a bit of a panicked confused state.  I had done alot of soul searching and reorganizing after the Tornado that hit her last April, it had totally unsettled my plans and ways of doing things.  I feverishly started scanning documents and pictures and storing them on an external hard-drive had and thought that was going to protect my treasures and keep me productive and efficient no matter where I was working.  Never, thought about not being able to pack up my stuff and/or not having power.  What if a sudden storm hit without warning or if we were told to evacuate from a fire with only 15 minutes to get out...???

As the days have dragged on the people up North are not worrying about their work, they are struggling to just survive in the cold weather with water everywhere STILL, and without power, low food supplies and water.  Alot of the things I thought would happen to help them haven't and after seeing how the emergency response process worked during the tornado I noticed several things people had not planned for or worse had assumed would be available and they aren't so they don't have anything available.

The basics need to be on hand no matter what.. 
 Shelter & Clothing (what if the house was damaged?)
Drinking Water (2-4 quarts per person, per day for a week or more)
Food (able to be prepared without power, (hot water)
water for washing hands & flushing toliets
Heat
Gas/fuel for cooking stoves, heat, & car
alternative transportation
 First Aid kit

Then, there are the other "necessary items" 
tarps
work gloves
tools
plywood to cover windows
wood for fire
matches or fire starter stick
food producing/gathering tools 

How do you store all this stuff?  Where do you put it so its not in the way until it is needed but is accessible and ready to go when needed?

Well, Kits is one efficient and effective way to handle this need. http://uniquelyorganizedandutilized.blogspot.com/2012/11/kits-or-keep-it-together-somewhere-are.html
Included is our preparedness plan and contact list.

Do you have a preparedness plan?  Do you have your supplies stored somewhere convenient and accessible?

Want one?  Contact me through the website http://uniquelyorganizedandutilized.com and lets schedule an appointment to start preparing your preparedness plan and organized other activities so they can be enjoyed during any hardship to adjustment (moving, traveling, having company long-term, etc)




No comments: