Monday, January 21, 2013

Planning is not just a "Luxury" it is absolutely necessary for some!

Planning is not just a "Luxury" it is absolutely necessary for some!

and it makes all the difference in the world.

I am a planner, scheduler and communicator.  Some find it annoying but it is a necessary evil for me.  I used to try to explain and found people really don't hear you when you are different. They want everyone around them to be like them.  Differences are seen as the problem and focus and energy is exerted more to change the person than to adapt things toward the person.  People ask why I do things and I now just giggle and say, "it is just the way I am".

I recently had a consult and the potential customer was convinced "Nothing was going to help them, cause they just CAN'T do this and this HAS TO BE this way and This person won't do this and well around and around we went.  I listened and tried to suggest things and then I said,  let me share something from my experience and see if it helps all this make sense.  They agreed.  I share this with them and when I was done they suddenly had a different perspective which is the first step of change. :) ~&~

I started with, I understand health issues, financial issues, etc.. (if you want the details, contact me but they really don't matter...just qualify my statements.  Any Adversity is able to be overcame if you are willing to see it that way.  You may need tools or assistance but it is possible!  Change is necessary but is so worth the trouble.

I learned the hard way, a well maintained and functional and efficient house in the hands of the one who arranges it toward their needs is quite a different environment when in the hands of someone else with different opinions, style and ways.  Being adaptable and able to function within whatever environment you are placed is a Talent and not something everyone aspires to be able to do.  I arrange my supplies and belonging in a way that is suitable to my needs (YES YOU DO HAVE NEEDS and you need to respect and acknowledge them).  I always prided myself on being able to cooperate with others and work with whatever I had, and being able to find whatever was missing.  UNTIL I was in a situation that I was given only what I asked for, and everything was new and uncharted territory I was without my "Adaption tools" and I faltered could not get it together and failed my attempt at a very different endeavor.  As I worked with a mentor to try to figure out why I could not do this much desired task, together we discovered I failed because I was not working with my abilities, skills and talents while accepting and respecting my disabilities and needs and that cause a strong conflict to arise that made STRESS and Anxiety reach a level that completely overwhelmed and devoured my very limited energy level.  When we looked at the planning, well there wasn't any because it was new and I had not been given the necessary information.  They showed me that there are basic questions everyone needs the answers to, in order to properly function and flourish.  As we look at the 5 basic questions, we approach these things a certain way and that is our style, some people are less structured and can use other tools to keep themselves "on task and focused, proceeding through the steps and achieving the goals in a timely manner".  Others need written phases and references, neither way is right or wrong it is just how that person functions better.  A written plan helps mentors and assistants understand what the plan is, what the resources on hand are and what is needed so they can help monitor and evaluate the work.  Planning can be as simple as completing the 5 questions.. and then carrying them out.  With my health issues and decreased energy level certain accommodations were necessary.  Having things written down gives me a security and calmness that if and when something goes wrong I can quickly and easily look back at what I did, what I said I was doing and figure out the issues.  It is much easier to have something easy to understand to show someone when I need assistance, that way when they agree to ASSIST ME, they pick up on MY VISION and PLAN and do it my way.   Once I gained acceptance and respect for this NEED and made it clear that this level of accountability and cooperative work was needed it gave me the confidence and security that I COULD DO whatever I choose to do as long as I have the tools needed.  

The magic questions that need to be KNOWN before you start a project or task.

Who are you working for/with (who is the user of the item or space)
What are their needs, learning style, any conditions, demands, dislikes/  What tools, resources, information is needed.
When is the deadline, expected delivery or how long is this task expected to take, Status checks, check offs.
Where is the work being done (in a particular computer program, type of art, special area, is travel required to get there)
WHY  what is the intended goal of this task or project?
How is the success determined, how is the communication between you and the others involved to occur.

Once you know these key factors you can draw the conclusions and decide how to proceed.

After I reviewed the example, the potential customer was much more "positive" and encouraged about her situation and needed to talk to those she lived and worked with, and wanted to try to work some of the obstacles out before we proceeded, since her goals may change and she needs some of  the basic needs to be clarified.  So I essential worked myself out of an assignment, which kind of frustrated my mentor, until I reminder them of my priorities and philosophy and then they were also in a new perspective. 
We giggled and chanted, "UNIQUELY ORGANIZED and UTILIZED...   :)  ~&~

It is the way I AM, it is what I am good at and It is my chosen way to make a living doing what I want to do the most, HELP PEOPLE, BE A POSITIVE INFLUENCE, and MAKING A DIFFERENCE.  My career path has changed and some of the ways I conduct my business have had to change but the level of professionalism, effectiveness and passion with which I do it is better than ever.


If you would like to know more or to discuss your project, space or tasks.  Contact me through the Website's "Contact Us" tab.  if you are on the website reading this just click over to the tab at the top of the page, or the link to the page is http://uniquelyorganizedandutilized.com/Contact_Us_Widget_2.html  or call me at 919-219-2650.

   "Possibility is like a large puzzle, IT IS whatever it IS, even before it is revealed"
 "Attitude sets the tone for the process and the journey will be different when the attitude is lighter"
                                    Dot A. Wiggins


No comments: